BUREAU OF WORKERS COMPENSATION
HEALTH & BENEFITS
The EPC sponsors a BWC Group Rating Pool for Workers Compensation. Public School districts are eligible to join the Pool if they are credit rated. Districts which are penalty rated are welcome to take advantage of our group fee for administrator services with Hunter Consulting.
National School Bus Safety – National School Bus Safety Week is October 18th through October 22, 2021. Districts may visit the National Association for Pupil Transportation website for more information.
Covid-19 Update – Due to Covid-19 causing schools to be closed early and many staff members continuing to work from home, the BWC has added a telecommuting classification to all public employer policies for the 2020 policy year. This classification is rated in a way so as to offset the financial impact caused by Covid-19. The base rate for the telecommuting code (9444) is .19 vs. the typical district rate of .49 for manual 9434. The actual rate each district pays will vary, based on their claim history and discount program participation.
It is important that districts keep track of the employees that worked from home and the amount of time spent telecommuting, as the BWC may request verification of the reporting. Only payroll for the period of the duration of the Stay at Home Order can be reported under the 9444 classification, all other payroll will be reported under 9434.
Subject: Public Employers Teleworking Manual Classification
Continuing Class Code 9444-PEC Teleworking: In June 2021, when Governor DeWine ended the state of emergency, the Underwriting & Premium Audit Department announced the discontinuation of Public Employer classification code, 9444-Clerical Telecommuter. This was made effective on July 1, 2021. Public Employers were advised to report payroll for the remainder of policy year 2021 to the assigned PEC class code for staff teleworking on or after July 1, 2021. However, after further discussion and review by Employer Services and Actuarial, we have decided to continue this classification code for the remainder of policy year 2021 policy year and for the upcoming PEC policy year (2022). With the ongoing pandemic, we understand PEC staff continue to telework, therefore we feel it is appropriate to continue use of class code 9444.
Examples relating to public employer taxing districts
• Any public employees performing clerical duties while working from home are reportable to 9444.
• Public employee teachers who conduct classes on-line working from home are reportable to classification 9444. If tutoring is done by the teacher away from the teacher’s home, then their entire payroll is reported to the operational classification.
• Public employee teachers who ended the previous school year working from home are reportable to 9444, including summer break, and as long as the schools remain closed.
• After a public school has students return to in-school classes, all payroll for teachers will be reportable to the operational classification code again.
• This revision to the class code assignment rule only applies beginning with the time of Governor DeWine’s State of Emergency order, which he initiated March 9, 2020.
• To request the addition of class code 8871 – Clerical Telecommuter or 9444 for public employer taxing districts to your policy, please call 1-800-644-6292 or send an email to RTSclass@ohiobwc.com. Remember to include your policy number in your email request.
Notice to districts that allowed employees to work remotely - Posted 02/05/2021
Group Rating Safety Accountability Letter – Posted 02/16/2022
Dear Public Employer:
Don’t forget! Public employers must submit their Summary of Work-Related Injuries and Illnesses (300AP) to the Public Employment Risk Reduction Program (PERRP) on or before Feb. 1.
As a reminder:
- Public employers are required to report hospitalizations, amputations, and loss of an eye within 24 hours and work-related fatalities within 8 hours to PERRP at 1-800-671-6858.
- Public employers are required to post the PERRP Safety and Health poster at each physical location. Click here to download or request a poster: https://info.bwc.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/bwc/for-employers/safety-and-training/safety-consultations/request-safety-health-poster
PERRP is currently providing virtual safety and health training, consultations, and written program reviews during COVID-19. Please request our services at: https://www.bwc.ohio.gov/employer/services/peservicerequest/nlbwc/RequestForServicePERRP.aspx
Should you need assistance in completing or filing your PERRP 300AP Summary, please contact PERRP at 1-800-671-6858.
EPC/HUNTER CONSULTING SAFETY TRAINING MEETINGS
The Southwestern Ohio Educational Purchasing Council (EPC) and Hunter Consulting Group are sponsoring Safety Program Development Training Seminars for all School Administrators of SWOEPC Group Members. The following safety training topics to be discussed: Basic Safety Planning; Near-Miss Reporting and Safety Committees. This training offered is to help group members meet their annual requirements towards safety training hours. The following training is developed for School Administrators.
Next Safety Training Session: November 16, 2021 via Zoom
Contact us to Sign Up for this session at Robin.Houston@epcschools.org
Step 1 – Visible, Active Senior Management Leadership
Step 2 – Employee Involvement and Recognition
Step 3 – Medical Treatment and Return to Work Practices
Step 4 – Communication
Step 5 – Timely Notification of Claims
Step 6 – Safety and Health Process Coordination and Employer Education
Step 7 – Written Orientation & Training Plan
Step 8 – Written and Communicated Safe Work Practices
Step 9 – A Written Safety & Health Policy Statement
Step 10 – Recordkeeping & Data Analysis
BWC SAFETY SEMINARS
BWC – Dozens of of training courses are available through BWC’s Division of Safety & Hygiene. These courses are offered at the training center in Pickerington at the Ohio Center for Occupational Safety and Health (OCOSH) and at branch sites and BWC service offices across the state, including Toledo, Cincinnati, Canton, Cambridge, Portsmouth, Youngstown and Cleveland. Employers may enroll any number of employees at no additional cost. To enroll or learn more about the courses available, visit the BWC Learning Center at www.bwclearningcenter.com.